Cucumbers are much more than just an additional crunch to your salad. From losing weight to helping fight blood pressure and constipation, cucumbers are indeed a star in your kitchen. But are you aware of some of the benefits stored in its peel? You will be surprised to know that cucumbers are among those vegetables that do not need to be peeled off.
Here are some of the amazing health benefits that cucumber and its peel offer us:
1. Weight loss: Looking for some weight loss tips, then cucumbers along with its peel are a must. They consist of about 97 percent water and has ample fiber. Just 3/4 of a cup has approximately 11 calories, so snack on them without feeling guilty. Their high water content plays a role in helping you stay hydrated.
2. Beneficial for eyes: Cucumber peels are rich in beta-carotene, which is a type of vitamin A. Beta-carotene is popular for its amazing effects on eye health and vision. The soothing effect of cucumber peel also helps in reducing swelling and puffiness from the eyes if placed on the eyes for 15 minutes.
3. Helps fight cancer: Regular consumption of cucumber helps lower the risk of breast, prostate and ovarian cancers.
4. Reduces constipation: Cucumber peel contains insoluble fiber that helps in effectively clearing out the digestive tract. Crush a cucumber peel and add honey to it. Drink this mixture empty stomach daily. This will help in expelling stool from the intestines due to its sweeping effects.
5. Beneficial for the skin: Cucumber helps in revitalizing the skin from within. Regular application of cucumber-based face packs or grated cucumber appears to be effective in reducing the signs of skin aging. It is also good for your dark circles, open pores, blemishes, etc.
6. Reduces bad breath: Fiber content in cucumber helps in stimulating saliva production inside your mouth. This prevents the accumulation of bad bacteria that are responsible for the bad odor in your oral cavity.
7. Good for the heart: Potassium present in cucumbers helps lowering blood pressure. Higher intake of cucumbers on a regular basis has been shown to be associated with lower rates of stroke and a reduced risk of heart disease.
8. Keeps bones healthy: Vitamin K is vital for the bone health, and cucumber is a rich source of vitamin K. Therefore, regular consumption of cucumbers can help in improving calcium absorption in the bones.